Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How I stopped feeling weak and became strong

Image courtesy - Flickr

“Never compare your inside with someone else’s outside.”

Hugh MacLeod, author of Ignore Everybody

Hmm, let me guess…

You often compare your inward nature to the outward appearance of others without ever realising that it’s a blunder. As a result, you think that each human around you is superhuman – without weaknesses and insecurities.

But it isn’t so – people around you are just like you; they too have their share of weaknesses and insecurities. Let me tell an incident:

When I was new in the office, a group of strong men used to torture me for fun. I couldn’t do much to prevent them, because I felt that they’re emotionally tough, risk-welcoming fighters and have strong connections. I thought that giving them a fitting reply or complaining against them might add to my harassment or even cost my job.

Coincidentally, to do an assignment I was batched with the person who was the most creative in bullying me. The expected happened – he mocked at me, insulted me, and humiliated me.

But I felt it was too much. I stood against him; the frustration was piling up since a long time – and he was flabbergasted to see me so defiant. I threatened him not to repeat his foolishness and “Do whatever you wish and complain wherever; I don’t care.”

Will you believe what happened?

First he tried to dominate me, but seeing me giving him a damn challenge, that tough man, leader of all, started shivering and sat heavily in his chair, as if collapsing with nervousness. The people who surrounded him all turned to be hollow, cowards.

No connections, no threat-execution, nothing from him. He turned a perfect loser, and weaker than I could have ever expected. Since that event he hasn’t dared to cross his limit and gives me the respect I deserve.

I’ve experienced several similar incidents. Each incident has reinforced my belief that every human has weaknesses; there’re no super heroes around.

To stopped feeling weak and become strong you must accept the fact that every human has flaws like you. If in doubt, check the interviews of only a few celebrities, and you’ll understand.

“I was a coward. I used to be haunted by the fear of thieves, ghosts and serpents. I did not dare to stir out of doors at night. Darkness was a terror to me. It was almost impossible for me to sleep in the dark, as I would imagine ghosts coming from one direction, thieves from another and serpents from a third. I could not therefore bear to sleep without a light in the room. ”

Mahatma Gandhi, All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...