Saturday, April 1, 2017

Why I say no to things I love


"If there is any difference between you and me, it may simply be that I get up every day and have a chance to do what I love to do, every day. If you want to learn anything from me, this is the best advice I can give you." Warren Buffett, one of the world’s richest persons, while talking to the students at the University of Nebraska He is flying thousands of meters above your head in the deep blue sky, cutting the cheerful-blowing winds and clouds in the one-engine airplane. Your keen, fascinated eyes are fixed at the whizzing airplane, a parachute flutters, he screams half in joy and half with fear and jumps off in the wide open sky. As this skydive enthusiast touches the green earth in the dazzling sun, you feel his heart leaping out, so damn thrilled he is by the experience. “I wanna do it again!” he screams repeatedly, at the top of his voice. For years you had craved and dreamt to skydive. And today the plane is roaring right in front of you, the merry breeze is caressing your hair as if inviting you to float in the sky with it – you have the much-craved chance of quenching your wish. Think. If you bash your fear, a few moments later, you too can feel at the top of the world. Would you skydive? Am no Sigmund Freud (nor I pretend to be one) so I can’t tell your reaction. Am only an average guy – eager to squash my fears – and here’s how I would react: “I wish I could, but… [Insert my excuse.]” “I’ll go for it next time because… [Insert my excuse.]” And I’ll invent a bunch more excuses. The real reason? Fear. The fear of smashing the comforts of my boring life for doing things I love. And it’s because of this fear that I say no to activities that can wake me up excited every morning. Skating? No. Diving in the milky sea water? No. Talking to an influential person to bash my bashfulness? No. And there’re a host more things that I love and wish doing but the damn fear of skirting off the same comfort-proof life is nerve-racking. And I guess that it’s tough for you, too. Maybe you had once fallen for a drop-dead cute girl but cancelled opportunity after opportunity of proposing to her because you were scared. Maybe you had wanted to set out on that dream, adventure-rich trip but the fear of disturbing your boring work schedule had postponed it. Yeah, it happens all the time. We love chasing activities that excite us but when right opportunities come flying to us? We look the other side and hope for perfect times! I have taken a few small and big uncomfortable decisions, and realised that perfect times that we wish for never arrive. I never found the perfect moment to get married. To hop on to a different career track. To have children. Of branching out to disturbance-fraught Kashmir. But, I went ahead. And now it has crystallised into my head that the perfect moment of doing something is when we decide to do it. Waiting for perfect moments is fooling yourself, actually. "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman, Nobel Prize-winning physicist And my next scary project? Meeting the governor of my state (Uttar Pradesh) and asking him about overcoming fears and failures. Just because I fear and love talking point-blank to influential folks. Yes, I have a fear of failing, but fear is the price we pay to feel excited, to do things we love. Right?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...