Thursday, July 6, 2017

A meet with an inspiring lady


A spring morning an innocent-natured, financially and academically backward lady came to my hospital. She started asking me that if she wants her son to pursue the education of medicine, then what’s she required to do. Her dream was to make her son a doctor.

I told her that a person is required to do MBBS to become a doctor. Not to discourage her, but to prepare her for the struggle in store, I also told her that it’s very expensive and tough, and that her son will need to work super hard.

She again asked me the name of the course, and I repeated MBBS. She wasn’t still able to remember the name, but I said that at present what’s necessary is that her son must study hard and Biology is a necessary subject.

Talking with her I felt pleased because she appeared very simple, focussed and clear-hearted, unlike people who indulge in gossip and pointless affairs.

I inquired what’s the occupation of her husband to get an idea of their financial condition. She told me that he builds houses, which means that he doesn’t earn much. I said that from where she will arrange the fees and all. She told me that she has some land, and after selling it out, she will do the arrangements.

“There would be folks,” I told her enthusiastically, “who would discourage you, but you mustn’t give up.”

She optimistically nodded ascent. Imagine a village lady, uneducated and unaware, cherishing dreams of her son becoming a doctor and getting education from one of the most prestigious medical universities of the country. It doesn’t appear rational, and many rational folks in the light of their common sense would have dismissed her dream and discouraged her from pursuing that course.

Call me impractical if you wish, but I believe that she might get success in realising her dream. Many times folks succeed despite having very low resources and tough backgrounds.

Can a poor person who never went to college become a world-famous writer? Can a person who can’t speak a word or move even his finger rule the realms of physics?

Going by the rationality of the mediocrity anyone’s answer would be know.

But the only problem?

He would be plain wrong.

Charles Dickens, one of the most celebrated English writers, never went to college, and because of poverty he couldn’t attend school for more than four years. Stephen Hawking, due to multiple disabilities can’t speak a word and move a finger, yet he is one of the most honoured scientists of the world.

There’re a bunch of such impossible-appearing possibilities then why can’t the son of that downtrodden lady become a doctor?

I want to be like people who sincerely and diligently soldier on to climb up the success ladder. Even if someone isn’t able to climb up so successfully, it’s pleasing because at least he put up a fight and therefore remained far from frivolities. Success is in the act of true striving.

I believe, though you’re free to disagree, that when a person truly wants to accomplish a noble aim, powers beyond his ken come forth to push him forward.

It’s not fair to declare in a self-praising style that someone won’t be able to trek impossible-looking mounts. Conquering Everest once upon a time was impractical.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...