Sunday, December 7, 2008

Avoid Common Errors

Avoid Common Errors

I see that often people good in expressing make small mistakes. Unfortunately, such small errors discolour the beauty of the piece regardless of how well it was expressed. It is imperative to avoid such blunders. Here are a few blunders I found common even in well-educated people:

“Have you learnt the English alphabets” It should be “Have you learnt the English alphabet” or “Have you learnt the English letters”

“It was preplanned from before” instead of “It was preplanned”. (Preplan is already conveying the meaning of before. Although the word “preplan” appears needless - because planning is always done beforetime! But be Roman in Rome)

“What is the criteria?” instead of “What is the criterion?” (Criteria is plural and criterion singular)

“Between the three” instead of “Between the two”. (Between is only used when there are two options)

“Among the two” instead of “among the three”. (Among is only used when there are more than two options)

“According to me” instead of “in my opinion”

“I will revert back” instead of “I will revert”

“I and my friends” instead of “My friends and I”

“It is very excellent” instead of “It is excellent”. (Excellent itself is superlative)

“It would be more better” instead of “It would be better”. (Using double comparative is wrong)

“It is worstest” instead of “It is worst”

“Softwares” instead of “Software”

“Fill the complete page” instead of “Fill the page”


“John is most powerful than George” instead of “John is more powerful than George”

“Tim is the most richest person of this vicinity” instead of “Tim is the richest person of this vicinity”

Well, these were a few common errors. In time, I will catch more and shall post. Meanwhile, if you find any error in my writing, either use the message box or mail me.

I will add a new feature in the English Classes. It would be famous sayings as “be Roman in Rome”. Keep on tracking this blog!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yo man your blog is excilant. well done please keep it up

Anonymous said...

Hi!
My writing has been improved a lot after reading lots of posts from your blog.
If there is any mistake in my sentence please make a correction!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...