Thursday, March 12, 2009

English Class

English Class

The following are the views of my blind friend about writing:

When I write my cheerfulness increases. The more I write, the more I crave to! It makes everything very lovely. It gives me an extremely beautiful view - and I feel like going on writing - regardless of what I am saying or expressing. I love it very much!

Words of the day

Traduce: v. Causing disgrace or humiliation to by making wrong and malicious statements. As a rule, truth soon comes to light, so we should not bother if anyone traduces us.

Recriminate: v. To blame or accuse in return. Instead of lifting up the economic blockade from Gaza, Israel is busy in recriminating Palestinians.

Snigger: n/v. A quiet and insulting laugh kept to oneself. Fearing that my snigger will change into laughter, I disconnected the phone. I later realised that Mr Young was sniggering throughout my rehearsal.

Idioms of the day

If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers' hands: It is useless to wish for things. Often said in replying to the sentences beginning with “If only”. John: If only I wouldn’t have dropped that catch, we would have won the match. George: If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers' hands!

Rule with a velvet glove: To rule in a very gentle manner. My sir rules with a velvet glove, yet nobody misbehaves in the class.

Kid’s stuff: A very easy task. Cheer up chaps for winning this game is a kid’s stuff.

Combinations of words

Unrestrained anger: In a fit of unrestrained anger he smashed the computer screen.

Wavering courage: This planet is unfriendly to the people of wavering courage.

Shy and subdued: That idiot girl, shy and subdued, is a character which is rarer than the rarest.

The class is over.

Correction

Anonymous says in the comment box:

In a sentence like this, "Was/Were" or "Had", and not "Would", is used in the first clause beginning with "If". So the grammatically correct sentence, if you don't mind, would be:

"If only I hadn't dropped that catch, we would have won the match.

You can justify your usage above in terms of casual or popular use, but not in terms of grammar, come on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was interesting but, hav doubt on the usage of two model 'would' continuously in same sentence beginning with "if' could you confirm the correctness please. Anand sharma anandsharma78@yahoo.co.in\

Shadab Husain said...

Hello Mr. Anand Sharma,

Thank you for your comment.

Please note that I was bound to begin the sentence with “if only”. I had no other option but to use “would” twice in the same sentence. I do not think that grammatically it is wrong.

Thank you,
Shadab

Anonymous said...

In a sentence like this, "Was/Were" or "Had", and not "Would", is used in the first clause beginning with "If". So the grammatically correct sentence, if you don't mind, would be:

"If only I hadn't dropped that catch, we would have won the match.

You can justify your usage above in terms of casual or popular use, but not in terms of grammar, come on!

Shadab Husain said...

Hi Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble of pointing out this mistake in my post. I remain

Yours gratefully,

Shadab

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...