Saturday, December 27, 2008

Assignment

Assignment

For the new readers I feel it necessary to tell that I give assignments or homework to the readers of this blog. They go through my previous posts and make their own sentences using the material I have furnished here, which I check. Currently, Amar Jain, 18, who is blind and passionate to improve English, submits his assignments.

This is the third assignment of this blog. Since it was submitted to my email id before I dealt with the previous two assignments, so some mistakes might appear repetitive.

Amar Jain writes:

1. "A no-lose situation":
Whatever is the result of the work you are going to be benefited by it.

I don't know that weather my late registration for AI will be accepted or not but if I go to Ahemdabad then I would be able to meet the various people. So, if I go then also I would be in a no-lose situation.

2. "For a song":
At a very low price.

You can get the 50000's original software in just 10000. So, you can fullfill your dream of getting original software for a song!

3. "Be quick on the Draw":
To act promptly and to understand anything quickly.

My principle was quick on the draw for the notification of computer examinations.

Explaination: She acted on the notification quickly.

Shadab Husain responds:

Well Amar, thanks for the submission. Your sentences are good - but they need a bit of Trimming. Try to write using as less words as you can. In your first example, you wrote: “I don't know that weather my late registration for AI will be accepted or not but if I go to Ahemdabad then I would be able to meet the various people. So, if I go then also I would be in a no-lose situation“. This can be shortened to:

I am in a no-lose situation even if my late AI registration gets rejected because going to Ahmedabad will provide me the opportunity of meeting various people.

I feel this sentence has expressed everything you wanted to. Am I right?

You wrote “weather” instead of “whether” whereas “Ahemdabad” appears to be a typo - it should be “Ahmedabad”. I well understand the limitations of a screen reading software! “The various people” should be “various people”.

In your second example you slipped using the possessive form “50000's original software”; it should be “an original software of 50000”. Needless to mention that you misspelled “fulfill” because I presume your ensuing assignments will pass the spell check of Word. Just to remind the command to check spellings is (F7). Additionally, try to use fewer words and avoid making separate sentences for idioms.

In your third example, you erred where many err. It has often been seen that when we write, we generally miss those points which are common for us. I think that this we do because we unselfconsciously presume that since these points are common for us, so they will be common for the readers as well. But, things are contrariwise.

You wrote “My principle was quick on the draw for the notification of computer examinations.” Ask yourself will your readers be able to grasp what you said? I presume you wanted to say “My principal, quick on the draw, read the notification and allowed me to take exams using computers.” (Leave your comment if I am wrong, I will improve by it.) Further, it is “explanation” instead of “explaination”. I also used to make the same mistake.

So this was today’s assignment. Was it good?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear sir I am Abhishek
I wants to join this group.
thanks.

Shadab Husain said...

Hi Nitesh,

Thank you for your comment.

You can follow this blog. Whenever I will make a new post, a message will flash on your dashboard.

It would be encouraging for me if you read the complete content of this blog by clicking “Older Posts” which is placed at the bottom of the posts.

I am sure that you will get some good things to learn from here.

Happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...