Monday, December 15, 2008

Errors to Avoid

Errors to Avoid

On this blog I receive some encouraging comments amidst many discouraging ones. Some encouraging comments I received for my post “Avoid Common Errors” - so I felt that furnishing a couple of more errors would be sensible. They are as follows:

“In mornings, drinking tea is preferred more to eating apples by many.” In this sentence “more” is needless - because “preferred” is already conveying that idea. The correct sentence will read: “In mornings, drinking tea is preferred to eating apples by many.” It must be remembered that when “prefer” is used, “more” should be avoided.

Distinguishing between “it’s” and “its” is very simple yet many people err. When an apostrophe is sandwiched between (T) and (S) - it means “It is”. But many miscue it to be a possessive form. For example, they say “the model of this car is good, but it’s average is bad.” It should be “the model of this car is good, but its average is bad.” Similarly, if you need to say “it is raining” using an apostrophe, you should say “it’s raining” instead of “its raining.”

“I am going to give my exams” instead of “I am going to take my exams”

“Don’t make no mistakes” instead of “Don’t make mistakes”

“The circus will return again” instead of “The circus will return”

“I didn’t received any letter” instead of “I didn’t receive any letter”

“John and Joe are both talking together” instead of “John and Joe are talking together”

“Whenever I read Dickens, I always enjoy” it should be “Whenever I read Dickens, I enjoy”

“Passing by the building, I noticed it is very old” it should be “Passing the building, I noticed it is very old”

“I was in the college” instead of “I was at the college”

So these were a few more errors. If I slip anywhere, please let me know by leaving your comments.

1 comment:

Sagar said...

Really nice and very helpfull thanks a lot

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...