Sunday, December 14, 2008

English Class

English Class

I received the first assignment of this blog in the comment box which was submitted by Amar Jain.

Amar Jain writes:

1. "Take a pot shot": To suddenly find a fault with someone.

The distributor of Jaws was telling that the pronounciation of Hindi Jaws is very good but when I typed some words in Hindi just for testing, I found that the pronounciation of "," in Hindi Jaws was wrong. So, I took pot shot at him.

2. "Be writ large" (this is formal): To be very clear.

I instructed the dealer before giving the franchisee that you will have to be writ large with regard to the pricing policy of the company.

3. "Shore up something": To strengthen something by giving support.

"The Employees Insurance Scheme" is the way to shore up the workers's working.

Shadab Husain responds:

Well Amar, thank you for submitting your assignment. You did a brave thing by telling me to openly point out your errors - such brave hearts are rare. Here are a few errors I spotted in your assignment:

In your first sentence the spelling of “pronunciation” was wrong. You can avoid spelling mistakes by writing in MS Word. The command to check spelling mistakes is (F7). Pick up the misspelled words and Key them in a separate file and make a rule of typing those words till you feel you won’t misspell them again. I too do this.

Additionally, you missed the article “A” when you wrote “So, I took pot shot at him.” It should be “I took a pot shot at him”.

I feel that the first sentence would make a better reading if it is change to:

Just to test I typed a few words in the Hindi Jaws and Finding that it is mispronouncing 'comma' - I took a pot shot at the Jaws distributor - who was telling that the pronunciation of the Hindi Jaws is very good.

Your second sentence is very good. But it would look better if it is changed to:

I instructed the dealer before giving the franchisee that you will have to be writ large regarding the pricing policy of the company.

In the third one, it should be “workers’” instead of “workers’s”.

So today’s assignment is over. I hope you all would have enjoyed it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

have u made an amar urslef to make ur blog interesting???

Shadab Husain said...

No anonymous, you are absolutely wrong as usual. Amar Jain is my blind friend. You can find more information about him by copying and pasting this link in your browser:
http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=amar+jain+blind&meta=
Good luck, Shadab

Shadab Husain said...

And yes anonymous, you can also read the comment of the next post, where Amar has submitted his assignment. Seems you don’t read my posts properly. I advise you to pay attention. Thank you for telling that my blog is interesting, anonymous! Today I am very happy. Yours, Shadab

Amar Jain said...

Dear Readers and specially the anonymous sender,

Firstly, I am Amar Jain, pursuing Law from Government Law College, Mumbai. I am lovely 18.

I am totally blind.

You may find me on orkut, facebook etc.

Still don't believe in shadab bhaiya and mine statements?

Ok! drop me an email on:
amarjain2006@yahoo.co.in

I will reply you very soon.

I am going out of station for some days, so there would be some delay in reply.

Now you will ask "Amar, why don't you post a comment as anonymous?"
"Don't you care if people laugh at you after seeing your silly silly mistakes?"

So, here is my answer:

I am not scared if people laugh at me because I know that I am very bad at English and there is no big deal in it.

I am a Hindi medium student, so there is no big deal if a hindi medium student is not that good at English.

I don't care what people think about me. I only know that what are my mistakes and I know that how to overcome from those mistakes. And since I am pursuing my BA.LL.B's degree from Government Law College so English has now become a must for me. Therefore I am trying to improve myself in English. and fortunately, there are few persons like Shadab Bhaiya who are helping me a lot. So, I will continue to post my assignments without hiding my identity. So, you will always find a name "Amar Jain" in assignment section.

Last but not least, if somebody has to create a false identity, then noone can think of such a sweet name!!!

Smile!

Amar Jain.

Shadab Husain said...

Thanks Amar! I like your spirit of learning.

I don’t falsely encourage anyone. Your English is very good - please don’t say that it is bad. Few have such an open and energetic style, but, of course, a bit of improvement is needed. I am not a teacher, I too am a student - the only advantage with me is that I am older to you. I too am of those who learn. So, correct me if I err anywhere.

I will wait for your assignments. Happy journey!
Shadab

Anonymous said...

I like the spirit of Amar, and I am sure the more effort you do the more success you get, so keep it up and never get disheartened by some people who the GOD has made human, but unfortunately they do not behave as human

Anonymous said...

Amar, I like your spirit, the more effort you do the more success you achieve. It is amazing regardless of people say, do not loose the hope.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...