Wednesday, December 31, 2008

English Language: Peculiarities, Slips

English Language: Peculiarities, Slips



“Medal” and “Meddle”. “M-E-D-A-L” is used when anyone is awarded for outstanding performance. “M-E-D-D-L-E” means to interfere or to handle something absentmindedly.

The word “Formula” has two plurals: “formulae” and “formulas”. “Formulae” is used while discussing scientific topics such as “chemical formulae”. The second plural, “formulas”, is used elsewhere: “all the formulas have failed to establish a long-term peace between Israel and Gaza”.

We generally say “office timings”, “college timings”, “train timings” etc. In this context the usage of “timings/timing” is wrong. The correct English is “office hours”, “college hours” and so on. You might not believe this, but in order to confirm what you have read, look up the meaning of “timing” in the dictionary. But, I must add, whatever wrong is widely used fells in the category of correct!

“Advice” is a noun and “advise” a verb. So, you will write, “your advice is good”, “I need your advice”. You cannot say “I advice you” or “he adviced me”. It should be “I advise you” or “he advised me”.

Using “Enter” and “enter into”. “Enter” is used when you say “he entered the park”, “I entered your house” etc. you cannot say “I entered into your house” etc. “Entered into” is used in conversation, agreement etc. “John entered into our conversation because it was very cheerful”.

It is “scissors” and not “scissor”. In a sentence we can write, “A pair of scissors were kept” and “a pair of scissors was kept”. Both are correct. “Scissor” is a verb which means “To cut or clip with scissors”. “My mama scissored my hair while I was asleep”.

The past tense of “Quit” is “Quit” and “Quitted”. If you have left the gym, you can say “I have quit / quitted the gym”. But if you have left smoking, you can only say “I have quit smoking” and not “I have quitted smoking”. Better, use “quit” as the past tense.

It is “He phoned me” and not “he phoned to me”.

The past tense of “put” is “put” and not “putted”.

“If anyone wants to read, they can go to the library”. This sentence is correct, though grammatically it may not appear. “They” here means “he / she”. Since “he / she” and “his / her” appears untidy so now the native speakers have started using “they”, “them” and “their”. If anyone says this is wrong, tell them”it isn’t!”

2 comments:

Inner Vision said...

Reading this post helped me learn a lot. Thank you...

Shadab Husain said...

Thank you very much Inner Vision for coming to my blog and encouraging me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...