Wednesday, October 22, 2008

English Class

***

English Class

I presume that you all would be practicing the words I furnish here. Be good at practice because I want you to catch up a very good progressing speed .

Words of the day

Murky: adj. Unclear with mist, fog, smoke etc.. As a kid seeing the trains going on flashing, bustling and clearing the murky winds of the path was very encouraging for me.

Schadenfreude: n. Pleasure taken from the difficulties of others. Schadenfreude is that disease of heart which is unforgivable.

Kilter: n. Good condition. Mark misused his bike a lot and now it is going out of kilter.

Idioms of the day

Born with a silver spoon in your mouth: Having opportunities due to the influence of your family and not because of your efforts. It is better to have a passion to succeed than to born with a silver spoon in mouth.

Hem and haw: To delay giving an answer by clearing throat and talking in an unclear manner. I want a direct answer - stop hemming and hawing - or I will make an example out of you. We cannot be sure that a person is guilty if he hems or haws while replying.

Get down to brass tacks: To begin talking about the most chief or important part of a subject. I am afraid we won’t be able to chatter as we are running out of time so let’s directly get down to brass tacks.

Combinations of words

Adverse experience (adverse = adj. Unpleasant, unfavourable): Every adverse experience fills you up with a special courage to face the world.

Aimless confusion: When the parliament came under attack it appeared as if the whole nation has been thrown into an aimless confusion.

Warmth of passion: My husband has the warmth of passion I was in dire need of.

So I am over with today’s class. Do you want to learn English? Then be passionate to practice it. I hope you aren’t like the person who loves swimming but doesn’t go near the water.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...