Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Free English Class

***

Free English Class

Have you started writing for yourself? Try it, I bet you will enjoy. I write for myself and feel very good. It appears as if I am communicating to someone who understands, encourages and cheers me.

Now I cannot see, but I keep a pen and a copy on my bed, and before going to sleep I write whatever moves me. I don’t even care whether my pen is working - I just write my thoughts.

Love writing, it will be your silent friend, a humble companion which will accompany you whenever you wish. It is faithful, and I feel that you, too, will find it faithful.

Words of the day

Eavesdrop: V. Listening to the private conversation of others. People who do eavesdropping are hateful cowards.

Rankle: v. To irritate. Rankled by the loud noise I made my room soundproof. There are a few sick-minded fellows who take pleasure in rankling the elderly people.

Nascent: adj. Emerging, growing, a beginning of anything. In Sept. 2007, the nascent Arctic melt opened the famed Northwest Passage - the shipping route between Asia and Europe. The nascent climate change has begun to trigger hurricanes and floods all over the world.

Idioms of the day

Leave no stone unturned: To do everything to achieve a goal or find someone or something. Ambitious people leave no stone unturned to translate their dreams to reality. George left no stone unturned to find his friend from the forest. Maria’s jewel was so expensive that she left no stone unturned in searching it.

On tap: available and ready for use. The bonus to study at a good college is that you get the modern technology on tap.

A bone of contention: Any topic which is argued about for long. The real bone of contention among the educationists was whether to include Astrology as a subject in the UGC curriculum or not.

Combinations of words

Ingrained love (ingrained = adj. firmly established): When I embraced my girlfriend, she cried like a silly child - because she has ingrained love for me.

Political and sociological: The political and sociological conditions of the world are undergoing a change.

Careless joy: We were in a careless joy eating peanuts and ragging each other at the picnic.

Ok, now practice these words and idioms. I will be very happy if anyone learnt a new thing from this blog.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...