Wednesday, October 22, 2008

English Class Attached - From the Dark Zone

***

English Class Attached - From the Dark Zone

Few months back I came over a news report for which I had been direly craving for long. That news brought to my knowledge that Retinitis Pigmentosa, an eye disease in which the vision loses till you become blind could be curable in the near future. Suffering from the same disease, earlier I kept a close eye on all the science and technology news because I was eager to see if they have discovered the method to cure it. And they did.

It is AMAZING to think that you will be able to see again after several years. The joy to think that you can see your parents again is unspeakable. How much the old age has changed them? How you yourself look like after entering your twenties? Will you take a bike and whoosh off to see the same school building where you spent your infancy?

You will fool around on those old roads like the typical idiots! You will see the same trees, same sky, same birds etc. all those common things which due to your blindness have become more beautiful than you can ever tell yourself.

Your imprisonment vanishes. You feel free as a bird to fly where ever you wish to. Such thoughts flood your mind when you learn that you will regain your sight.

But the next moment you realise that your blindness which has molded your nature will die away. Again you feel as if you will lose a part of your body. You have to restyle your soul. How can you leave your blindness which has provided a totally different outlook to you?

Regaining sight becomes as an attack on your character. There, again, you find your life on the cusp of another twist. When the news which you were so passionately yearning for heralds you are messed. And unbelievably, suddenly it strikes you that in the past time you have actually learnt to appreciate and love your disease.

Admittedly, leading a blind life isn’t easy. Darkness terrifies you and you have to pass depressive nights. You have to learn to survive despite the failures of your career. You get short shrift from the people and you are often humiliated.

Yes, you are blind, but you have a human heart which has its emotional and physical needs. as the needs of your heart and body become intolerably urgent, you feel that running from nature is impossible. But anyhow you have to overcome your challenge, because that is your helplessness – you have to live.

This is a robust experience, because you feel as if you have limited your problems which you would have never done were it not for your blindness. You admire your adventurous life. You live the moment. You are in reality. Then how can you leave it?

Agreed, blindness mercilessly thrashes and crashes, and agreed, no one will dare to experience it because it casts insurmountable terror in the hearts; but it isn’t hateful for blinds. It is something like a religion for few.

I am sure that the boom of this discovery will attract but a summary attention by those who have found their darkness lovable. And especially those who have not seen this world (I mean blind by birth) will find it quite irrelevant. Besides their emotional attachment with blindness, even psychologically it would be difficult for them to accept a totally alienated world of sight.

I am shocked to see my strange response over such an amazing discovery. I got darkness when I was running from it; and just see the irony of fate that I can get sight when I do not need much of it. However, partly for the sake of my parents and partly to return to my natural form, let welcome it.

But I will heartily miss my humble, and yet fiery beloved in that sighted world. My blindness will keep on influencing me for my entire life. It is deeply imprinted on my heart. How would I shed my simple and awkward ways? I am bemused that where will I fit myself after returning to the sighted life.

That is unpredictable. I might suffer from nostalgia. But whatever, that too would be an uncommonly joyous experience – full of life.

***

Hi Folks,

I hope you enjoyed this essay . Here are the things I found difficult in it:

Words of the day

Whoosh: n/v. 1. A sibilant sound. A speedy movement, a rush. Will you take a bike and whoosh off to see the same school building where you spent your infancy?

Insurmountable: adj. Impossible to overcome. Agreed, blindness mercilessly thrashes and crashes, and agreed, no one will dare to experience it because it casts insurmountable terror in the hearts; but it isn’t hateful for blinds.

Nostalgia: n. A bittersweet longing for the past situation. 2. Homesickness. I might suffer from nostalgia.

Idioms of the day

As free as a bird: Totally free to do whatever you want to without any worries. You feel free as a bird to fly where ever you wish to.

Give short shrift: anybody or anything you ignore because either you don’t like him or because you feel annoyed with him. You get short shrift from the people and you are often humiliated.

Combinations of words

Direly craving: Few months back I came over a news report for which I had been direly craving for long.

Intolerably urgent: as the needs of your heart and body become intolerably urgent, you feel that running from nature is impossible.

Irony of fate: I got darkness when I was running from it; and just see the irony of fate that I can get sight when I do not need much of it.

Today’s tip is to write in a flow, and flow comes when you are passionate about anything. What concerns you? Go ahead and give an outlet to it.

The success of all the writers rests on this, and this is called catharsis. We all are bound to channelise our emotions; the wisest is he who finds the correct channel. It doesn’t matter which art you want to excel at, you will need this outlet.

Some of you would be waiting for me to post the essay on oratorical skills I promised to. I will post it, please give me some time. As I want to refrain from making bromide tips and as I want to bring something new and creative, I am taking time. Excuse me, I can write a common essay in one hour, but I truly hate such a work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u r a good donkey.

Anonymous said...

hey buddy..
it's a nice eassy and ur writeup is really a helpful one..
keep writing ..........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...